"Love is not a feeling, but a reflection, a reaction, a response, to the love that God has given to us. God commanded us to love in deed, from the heart, and with selflessness. I have chosen to love because he loved me first."

(1 John 3:16-17)

July 25, 2013

Love IS NOT Optional-It can be the Difference between Life or Death

I will admit that I had to go back to really learn what God said about love to the children of Israel and I found myself reading the commandments; something that I have honestly not read since I was a child in Sunday School.  It was a rediscovery for me…God commanded us to love!  How can we ignore that?  Trust me I have been there.  Not wanting to turn the other cheek to another woman that said something rude to me, unwilling to forgive the man that left or treated me badly, refusing to speak to, or share kindness when I feel that a co-worker disrespected me in some way; it is so easy to do these things to get back at someone.  I know all too well that “hurt people, HURT people”.  

How much greater would it be for ourselves if we loved in spite of how someone mistreated us.  Our minds would be free of negative thinking; we’d have less stress and be able to live freely of hurt.  We would be slow to react in awful ways that are not pleasing in God’s sight.  Proverbs 10:12 says “Hate will bring strife, but love covers all sin”.  Essentially, hate can bring discord, tension, arguments, crime, murder and war, while love will keep us from these things.  WOW!  That really is something.  There is someone I have to forgive today so that I can live freely of hurt and truly start to love others as God commanded me to.  How about you?


Thank you for reading!  Feel free to comment below or follow Blessed Chix for weekly readings.   

In the meantime, love AND live.

Nikitia (creator-Blessed Chix- the blog)





Nikitia (Niki) Wilson believes in the power of storytelling.  She founded Blessed Chix to fulfill the call that God gave her to reach, encourage, and inspire women and girls through testimonies of overcoming the odds.   Niki has dedicated her life and ministry to creating a platform where women can share  with each other in safe, nonjudgmental, and “come as you are” environments in order to find fullness in life and in love.  She is happily married to her husband Rev. Eli Wilson, III and resides in Metro New York where she is a librarian.  

1 comment:

  1. Such a good message Niki. We are commanded to "love" not only for those that we are commanded to love, but for ourselves. I John 4:20 says; If a man says, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? I John 4:21 says; And this commandment we have from Him, that he who loveth god love his brother also. Keeping ourselves focused on God enables us to forgive and love those who we feel have mistreated or abused us. Thank you for giving of yourself with these blogs. Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete